Friday, January 19, 2007

Sonya Cotton - Out of the Ocean

Sonya Cotton lists folks like Iron & Wine and Cat Power as among her influences, but at first, she bears only passing resemblance. Her voice has the practiced power, assurance and cadence of a professional singer, clear and sweet. Songs are arranged with a light, tasteful touch - mostly voice and guitar with occasional piano, drums and backing vocals. It's all a bit smoother than my usual rotation, but her new album Out of the Ocean has found a near-permanent home in my car stereo for the last few weeks.

Along with those great, pure vocals, Cotton's songs have self-effacing charm, vulnerability, and low-key melodies that really stick. The effect is something like The Innocence Mission recast in a more confessional mode. Give a listen to "These Days"; the way she sings this line, especially, get me every time:

"These days I’ve got little to say/what am I losing in these lonely rotting streets?/You say you miss me darling/well, I miss you too, my sweet."

MP3: Sonya Cotton - These Days

See her on tour:
Jan 20 2007 - Loaded Joe's, Avon, Colorado
Jan 28 2007- The Lab, Missoula, Montana
Feb 2 2007- The Funky Church, Portland, Oregon

Buy the album at her site and hear more songs at her MySpace.

1 comment:

Adi said...

Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.